jueves, 19 de junio de 2008

Music for the pilgrim spirit

I once heard George Harrison say, presumably quoting from some Hindu text or philosopher, "God likes me when I work, but he loves me when I sing." I've always liked that quote. Music has always been a big part of my life, and there's no denying the power of music to raise the mind, the heart and the soul to God.

Well, I've just been turned on to the following video on YouTube and I thought it would provide a nice little musical interlude. It's a clip of Aaron Neville and Linda Ronstadt (remember their Grammy-winning hit "Don't know Much" from 1989?) singing "The Song of Bernadette."

I love Aaron Neville's voice, and I've always been a fan of Linda Ronstadt too. And of course, this year is the 150th anniversary of the apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary to St. Bernadette in Lourdes, another great center of Christian pilgrimage.



The original version of the song is by Jennifer Warnes, who co-wrote it with Leonard Cohen and recorded it for the "Famous Blue Raincoat" album in the 80s. Her version is also worth hearing.

No hay comentarios: